MCARA Units > VMP-354 (1946-1949)
Marine Photo Reconnaissance Squadron 354 (VMP-354) History
VMP-354 was commissioned on 6 December 1946 at MCAS Cherry Pt. in essence with a name change from VMD-354 which had just returned from the Pacific after WW II. The squadron was initially assigned the F-6F Hellcats from VMD-354, and a few months later took on some of the F-7F Tigercats of VMD-954 when it was decommissioned. VMP-354 soon became a paper squadron due to the reduction in forces after WW II and was decommissioned on 5 December, 1949. All of its assets, which at the time included F4U-5P Corsairs, were transferred to a photo section within HEDRON-2 at 2nd MAW.